Every couple has a special song which they can attribute to their first romantic spark
Every couple has a special song which they can attribute to their first romantic spark; and most of the time, the song sticks well into their first dance as newlyweds. Coming up with a top ten list of popular wedding songs for the first dance is a risky undertaking, as there are innumerable timeless songs to choose from. These songs should do the list justice, as it contains the right mix of pop, ballad, classic, and even rock melodies, enough to ease any couple who may resent the fact that their favorite song was not included in the list.
10. I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing by Aerosmith – the earnest initial lyrics which leads to a swelling climax earned this song a place for those who want to make the first dance loud and romantic at the same time.
9. You Made Me Love You (I Didn’t Want to Do It) by Al Johnson – this is a classic song which is more favored by couples who want a good old sentimental ambiance for their first dance. There have been numerous covers of the song, but nothing beats the original when it comes to timeless appeal.
8. Just the Way You Are by Billy Joel – this love song was written by Billy Joel as a gift to his first wife, Elizabeth Weber. And although the marriage and the significance of the song turned sour for its composer, newlyweds nonetheless are enchanted with its swooning lyrics and power riffs.
7. From This Moment by Shania Twain and Bryan White – this one is a no-brainer. It is the quintessential wedding song for the nineties if ever there was one. The lyrics are basically wedding vows sung in ballad melodies, and the soothing vocals surely lend a hand in making this song a runaway favorite.
6. When You Say Nothing at All by Ronan Keating – while Alison Krauss’ country rendition of this classic is arguably better, Julia Roberts and the film Notting Hill probably had more to do with cementing this song as one of the faved first dance choices for many newlywed couples.
5 and 4. Can’t Help Falling in Love, and Love Me Tender by Elvis Presley – you can’t argue with the king when it comes to controlled sentimentality. These songs have been covered by innumerable artists, and Vegas weddings wouldn’t be complete without them.
3. Forever by KISS – this power ballad is the dark horse of wedding first dance songs. Though it is easy to understand why this song ranks high up the list, with its soulful lyrics and in-your face riffs, the song is preferred more by couples of the present generation more than anyone else.
2. Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers – this song is of timeless appeal to oldies and newbies alike. Although the original rendition is in an entire league of its own, successive covers and a blockbuster film (Ghost) made this ballad an enduring wedding classic.
1. Heaven by Bryan Adams – what makes this song so special that it ranks the highest on the list? Is it the lyrics which is true to the moment (baby you’re all that I need, when you’re lying here in my arms…) or is it the laid back and breezy melody? Whichever way you look at it, this song deserves the no.1 spot, as the countless couples who use this piece as their theme songs will attest.